The Streetsboro Heritage Foundation Inc. is a non-profit corporation that has been organized to solicit membership and tax-deductible donations for the restoration, preservation, and maintenance of the Col. John Singletary home. Construction of the Singletary home, which originally stood on public square, began in 1826 with completion in 1828 and is the oldest frame structure in the City of Streetsboro.
John Singletary began building his home in the center of town in 1826. Both he and his wife passed away in this home and are buried in the old Streetsboro Cemetery. The Singletary House has had a variety of identities, including a tavern, a stagecoach stop, a post office, the township’s first telephone exchange, three different antique shops, and it was even rumored to be a stop along the underground railroad during the Civil War.
In 1971 Closs Antiques sold his land and home to Red Barn fast food chain. The two-story home was doomed for demolition until Mark Defer talked his father, Henry, into being the one to save the city’s oldest house. The house was re-located to a hilltop overlooking the old Defer farm just off S.R. 14, until 2006 when it was moved to accommodate new shopping development. The fate was still undecided until Wal-Mart donated funds to the Streetsboro Heritage Foundation to help put the historic Singletary House back on a foundation. The Singletary House is now located behind Wal-Mart/Tire Source (formerly Defer Tire) and is the home to the Streetsboro Heritage Foundation Museum.
Since the inception of the Streetsboro Heritage Foundation, the goal has been to create a facility for the purpose of educating the public of the history of Streetsboro. We hope to accomplish this through open houses, fund raising, and educational tours involving the population of Streetsboro. We exist for the population of Streetsboro to share our knowledge and artifacts that shows the history of where they live.
The mission is to preserve the history, artifacts and genealogical material, while disseminating information and maintaining the Singletary House Museum for future generations. The Singletary House Museum is open for tours by appointment and during select weekends during the spring-fall months with a focus on its significant place in Streetsboro, Portage County, Ohio's Western Reserve, and United States history. Please contact Pearl Pullman 330-730-9934 for guided tours and select open house hours.
Please consider a monetary donation to continue improvements
of the Singletary House and preserve Streetsboro History.